Coming from Picasa Desktop - help

bjnovick bjnovick at msn.com
Sat Oct 15 17:01:49 BST 2016

Great program, but I need a little help.  My family used to use Picasa to
manage our photos.  One feature heavily used by my significant other in
Picasa was the albums.  As many of you probably know in Picasa Albums are a
virtual collection of photos.  This enabled her to group pictures for
sharing with family by an event or purpose without physically changing how
the photos are organized on disk.  For instance, a grouping for a 2016
Mother's day calendar and another one for our yearly family holiday card.
The same photo could exist in both "albums".  In digikam, albums represent
what is on disk so it does not work for this purpose as we do not want the
same file to exist in two places.  Then you would need to rate them, tag
them, etc... in multiple places as they would be independent copies.

I tried to simulate how Picasa does albums by using tags and just creating a
tag called "ALBUM - XXXXXX" for each of the albums we have and then having
her use the tag view.  However, in Picasa my wife could sort the albums by
date or other properties.  When you get a lot of these it is very useful.
Hence, tags do not really work as there is no sorting capability for tags,
just a search for a tag name.  I don't believe Digikam should change how it
does Albums, but I wanted to find out is if I have somehow missed something
key in how you are supposed to do something like this in Digikam. Is there
an equivalent object/method in Digikam but just with a different name?
Anyone have any suggestions on how to do this?