[Digikam-users] 5.0.0 final release plan...

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Sun May 22 13:10:57 BST 2016

Hi all,

I would to talk about the next plan to release 5.0.0 in few weeks.

This is the current status :

1/ Source code : mostly ready.

- It still some points where code is not ported from old KDE to new Qt5,
especially the view information on the right side bar of file dialog
(metedata). This view was existing in KDE4 version because the file dialog
from KDELibs permit to do it. The Qt5 file dialog cannot do it. We need to
find a new solution. I think we will delay this feature for later. The old
implementation is simply no compiled.

- KDE dependencies are now cleaned to the max without to break anything.
You must know that it's planed to provide a simple solution to compile
digiKam as pure Qt5 application, as Marble do currently for ex. This imply :

* translations moved from KF5::i8n to Qt5::tr. This still compatible with
KDE architecture to extract strings for translators.

* editor as a plugins interface, which is not shared with the rest of KDE.
There is no advantage to maintain this. We plan to embed editor tools as
static implementation. This will speed up startup a little bit and reduce
KDE dependencies (KService, KxmlGui).

* KConfig still mandatory to build digiKam core. I think we can move later
from KConfig to QSettings, as Clementine do when Amarok have been forked.
This will be a long task in all case.

* KWindowsSystem still used in digiKam core. Some few entries in source
code where we can use native Qt5 implementation instead.

* Solid still used in-deep in digiKam core. I think this dependency is fine
as it's a pure Qt5 library. There is no equivalent in Qt5 for the moment.

* KxmlGui, KService still used in digiKam core. This is the most tedious
port to move to pure Qt5 and the last one to do.

All the rest is optional. Look well the DEPENDENCIES file resuming all
requirements to compile digiKam. This is vcery important for packagers :

https://quickgit.kde.org/?p=digikam-software-compilation.git&a=blob&f=DEPENDENCIES

2/ Port to OSX :

- Macports project still the best way to compile digiKam. This require an
Apple computer. A cross compiling solution exists but nothing have been
tested for the moment (https://github.com/tpoechtrager/osxcross)

- but i write all bash script to prepare PKG file automatically. All
compilation work fine, i need to finalize PKG build.

- A 5.0.0 OSX PKG file must be provided as release announcement.

3/ Port to Windows :

- Here after 3 weeks of work with MXE cross compiling frameworks, i can
said that whole digiKam compile for Windows target in 32 or 64 bits "under
Linux" as well.

- Packaging will be done with NSIS installer also under Linux. Typically, a
Windows target will be possible to do all automatically under Linux with a
cron-tab.

- A 5.0.0 installer for Windows must be provided as release announcement.

4/ Web Site : a lots of work to do.

- KDE admin contact me to move current web site from Drupal 6 to Drupal 8
as well, for security issue.

- After the migration, the Site design must be fully revamped.

- A Web design student working with me in my office is ready to work on it
in one week.

- A new web site must be started for 5.0.0 release announcement.

VoilĂ  for the resume. If you have questions, lets me hear...

Best