[Digikam-users] Issue with Digikam and Removable media

Simon Cropper contact at simonchristophercropper.com
Wed Mar 2 01:22:31 GMT 2016

Hi Philippe,

I can read the messages correctly as I only read English but what stood
out for me was characters and spaces in the album names.

In Screenshot-03 note the leading space for "photos a classer". It
differs to "Phototheque-01".

You also use characters with diacritic marks. It is hard sometimes to
verify whether all programs, databases, OS understand and accept these
characters.

Personally I don't use "-" either. I have had problems in the past with
various programs not working properly because '-" was in path.
Substitute "_" if a spacer is required.

This may not be the issue but it is worth a try to sanitise your names.
Only use a-z A-Z 0-9 for paths and album names. See if this works. No
"~!@$%^&*(){}?<>", spaces or characters with diacritic marks.

Best of luck.

Cheers Simon

On 20/02/16 03:14, p.tarot at aveniortho.fr wrote:
> Hi team,
> I have a problem using removable discs with Digikam 4.13.0 on Maxc OS
> X. 10 (Yosemite).
> In the Preferences I set the place of the Digikam Data Base on the
> hard disk of my computer (Screenshot  01).
> Then I added as Local Collection  an Album located on my computer in
> the Folder "Pictures " and called "Photos à Classer "
> Then I added a new collection (called Photothèque 01) located on a
> removable (external) hard disc. At this moment appeared the message
> shown in the screenshot 02 (very hard to understand the meaning ???)
> I clicked OK twice to close the Collections window of the Preferences.
> All the Album of the removable media was imported very
> well.(Screenshot 03)
> Then I quit Digikam and disconnect the removable disc
> Now when I re-open Digikam :
>
>   * with the external disc disconnected :
>       o  The Album " Photothèque 01" of the removable média doesn't
>         appear (Screenshot-04) and in the Preferences I can see that
>         the Collection "Photothèque" has moved in the Local
>         Collection.(Screenshot 04)
>       o if I connect at this moment the external disc the the Album
>         "Photothèque-01 doesn't mount".
>   * with the external disc connected, the catalog appears quickly but
>     I must wait minutes to obtain the thumbnails ???
>
> I don't know if something is wrong in my settings or if it's an issue
> of the program.
> Thanks for the help.
> Chears.
> Philippe