[Digikam-users] output device profile

Elle Stone ellestone at ninedegreesbelow.com
Tue Mar 1 22:01:02 GMT 2016

On 03/01/2016 04:39 PM, Gerhard Hoogterp wrote:
> On Tuesday, March 01, 2016 04:34:06 PM Elle Stone wrote:
>> On 03/01/2016 04:22 PM, Gerhard Hoogterp wrote:
>>> Again, choosing my display profile is no problem, neither is the camera
>>> profile. It's just the output device who doesn't want to play ball..
>>
>> Is your output device profile an RGB profile or a CMYK profile? These
>> days not all printers use CMYK profiles. The last I checked (a long time
>> ago), digiKam only allowed to select CMYK profiles as output profiles.
>
> Hi,
>
> My printer is a cheapish epson stylus printer. But it's not as much for
> printing as for soft-proofing photo's before I send them off.
>
> But then again, digikam looking for CMYK profiles could be the problem. Until
> now I had mostly display ICC's not thinking digikam would be smart enough to
> actually know the difference (and besides, my output could be a special
> display.. ) so I expected the general bunch of ICC files to show up.
> But if that's already an issue, then I will have to find printer files first..

https://www.drycreekphoto.com/icc/ provides printer profiles for a
variety of commercial printers (Costco and such) who make photographic
prints. Many establishments that make photographic prints have download
links for their printer-paper combinations right on their websites. And
you can find various printer profiles for various high and mid-range
photographic "printer paper combinations" for download from the internet
(for example do a search for Museo Portfolio paper and an Epson
printer). Most/all of these profiles are RGB profiles.

Does anyone on this list use digiKam for soft proofing? The last I
checked, digiKam didn't seem to work very well for this purpose.
Cinepaint (which probably nobody can compile any more) had great soft
proofing capabilities. GIMP 2.8's capabilities are not too bad. GIMP 2.9
soft proofing is a little bit better than 2.8, as it finally provides
black point compensation.

Elle