[Digikam-users] GeoLocation Question

Martin Burnicki martin.burnicki at burnicki.net
Fri Jun 24 16:58:21 BST 2016

Mick Sulley wrote:
> I have just taken a series of pictures in different locations with my
> Canon.  For each location I also took one with my phone so that I would
> have the coordinates.  I have imported all pictures into DigiKam, what
> is the easiest/best way to copy the location data from the phone pics to
> the Canon pics?

In the past I've also tried using the phone to get the coordinates, and
I tried several apps to record a GPX track. However, I often had the
problem that an app terminated itself while I carried the phone in my
pocket, when I accidentally touched a button on the phone to do
something else with it, when the phone went sleep mode (otherwise it
used much of the battery power) or whatever. So I didn't find this
method very reliable.

I ended up with this device:
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00I4Z1SQS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You can simply put it into your photo bag, and it records all the track
where you are moving. I find this extremely helpful when I'm on
holidays, just like now. ;-)

If you do this then you should make sure your camera's time is set
correctly to the second. For example, if you visit a city and make a bus
tour it *does* matter if you've taken a photo out of the bus a few
seconds earlier or later, since the bus can move quite some way in a few
seconds, even around corners.

On the other hand, if you know afterwards how many seconds your camera
time was off, e.g. if you know exactly on a map where the picture was
taken, you can account for the time offset when you apply the GPX track
to your photos. DK provides quite a few nice options for this, IMO.

Martin