[Digikam-users] Digikam eats (some of) my photos when I tag them

Luca Ferrari fluca1978 at infinito.it
Fri Jun 17 12:42:01 BST 2016

On Fri, Jun 17, 2016 at 12:56 PM, Peter S <slow.dust at gmail.com> wrote:
> When I tag photos from my camera only, then  close digikam, they are
> deleted.  Only tagged photos, and only in the directory relating to my
> camera - but all of those photos.  The thumbs db still has a thumbnail of
> them, the tag database still knows they are tagged but the original file is
> gone.  Digikam can't open them and neither windows or linux can see the
> files anymore.
>
> Anyone seen anything like this before?

Something very similar happened here.
Long story short: I kept my photos on an external hard drive vfat, and
suddenly all the files on disk of 2016 photos (tagged) were missing. I
had the thumbnails too, until I rebuilt the database.
Luckily I had regular backups and I was able to restore data, but I
changed the file system from vfat to ext4. So far I did not
experienced the problem again, but I'm not sure it was a filesystem
problem.

% digikam --version
Qt: 4.8.6
KDE Development Platform: 4.14.15