[Digikam-users] timeline vs tags

Gian Paolo Sanino Vattier gpsanino at vtr.net
Tue Sep 22 19:31:34 BST 2015

Hi Luca,

My understanding is that to have a common system to all your photos
makes more sense sooner or later. Your problem relies on the digitalized
photos, so why to have to add an extra task to the digital files? no
need since all you have to do is to correct the date on the scanned files.
Are they many? not a problem as long as you know the year they were
taken and perhaps even a more accurate date. The tag tool is just one
part of the metadata and it allows you to add non standard categories.
Date/time is perhaps the most basic info in metadata and thus not the
most appropriate tool to deal with just the date field of the metadata.

Instead, my recommendation is just to use the _dedicated_ tool "Adjust
Time and Date", under the menu "Image". It provides a lot of options to
correct this info (even correcting the original/created exif data). And
you can select previously all the files that share the same date and
thus, correct them in one step. Then the timeline will work for all your
files as well as your filters etc. You can filter using the tag "year"
you added previously and then select all the results to get their date
corrected in one step. Then you can select them again to remove their
unnecessary "year" tag. And repeat for each year.

regards
gps