[Digikam-users] split an album into sub-albums

Luca Ferrari fluca1978 at infinito.it
Thu Sep 17 08:47:44 BST 2015

On Tue, Sep 15, 2015 at 11:04 PM, Martin Burnicki
<martin.burnicki at burnicki.net> wrote:
> If you have tagged your images, and the tags have been also been written
> to the image files then this should be no problem, since the "new"
> collections are scanned and the Metatags are read from the files.
>
> However, if your tags have *not* been written to the image files then
> Metatags might eventually get lost if you remove the original collection
> and add new ones.

How can I know if tags have been written to the images? I have always
assumed that the tags are stored only in the digikam database, and
then accessible via digikam only. Is it correct that if tags have been
written to images I should be view them on file manager too?

> So in this case IMO a safe way would be to
> - rename the existing Album "photos" to  "photos.org" or something in DK
>
> - create new directories "photos/2014", "photos/2015" using a file manager
>
> - add the new, empty directories as additional collections in DK
>
> so in DK you should have following albums:
>
> Albums
>   photo.org
>     2014  (old, with images)
>     2015  (old, with images)
>   2014    (new, empty)
>   2015    (new, empty)
>
> and you can drag and drop the image files from the old to the new albums.

Good startegy, I will work on this and let you know if I encounter any problem.
Thanks for the idea.

Luca