[Digikam-users] DK 4.13.0 Segfault on OpenSuSE 13.2 (SOLVED)

Gian Paolo Sanino Vattier gpsanino at vtr.net
Fri Sep 11 22:59:56 BST 2015

Hi,
after upgrading to DK4.13.0 (from KDE:EXTRA/Nicok repo), together with
basic KDE and other packages, DK started to crash in my OpenSuSE 13.2 (KDE).
I had no idea why and ended by doing a fresh install twice with no
result. Tried with DK 4.10 and even DK 4.9 with the same problem.
Crash handler pointed something about a Qt5 lib and libvlccore. I
checked and found installed libvlccore7 and libvlccore8.
I removed libvlccore8 despite it also removed vlc-codecs and downgrades
some VLC packages, Digikam started to open properly.

I tried the opposite, removing only libvlccore7, reinstalling
libvlccore8, vlc-codecs and updating some VLC packages. And it works but
it removes phonon-backend-vlc in the process. So it is your choice...

(I got guidance on this solution from Jim at bugs.kde.org forum)

I hope this helps others as well.
gps