[Digikam-users] Geolocation question

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Sat Oct 31 12:58:36 GMT 2015

> My camera does not have geolocation so I have never looked at it before,
> but I just downloaded a few pictures from my phone and that does have it,
> but I don't understand what I see -
>
> A picture taken just down the road is OK
> Some taken at a restaurant are OK
> Some taken in Cornwall show as being taken at my sister in laws house in
> Birmingham  - Why??
>
> I could understand it not being able to report a location if there was no
> signal, or possibly reporting the last known location, but Birmingham to
> Cornwall I just don't understand!
>
> I guess it must be a problem with the phone rather than DigiKam?

digiKam just read GPS position latitude, longitude, and altitude if exist.
There is an Exif tags which indicate the level of reception of satellite
(not supported by all device). perhaps your phone was waiting satellite
connection or try to have a better geoposition using Wifi which can be of
course not available (Wifi is used to improve pure GPS solution)

So, i think it's a phone GPS reception problem