[Digikam-users] Collection on NAS Samba share - Pictures and metadata are removed from database when share not mounted?

forum_maverick at gmx.de forum_maverick at gmx.de
Sun Oct 11 18:22:33 BST 2015

Hello,

I would like to use a remote share on a NAS station an did some testing with digiKam to avoid problems.
In my szenario, I noticed that digiKam is removing pictures and metadata from database, when the NAS share is not mounted.
So it seems to me, that I would loose the metadata for my whole archive, if there is no network connection to my NAS - and that seems too risky for my aproach.

My question: Is there a possibility to avoid this behavior?
Due to the fact, I am using a notebook, I need the possibility to access lokal shares offline without loosing my archived metadata on the NAS share.

My setup:
- digiKam 4.13 (Ubuntu)
- NAS Samba share mounted locally inside the file system.
- A separate collection, pointing to that mountpoint (I tested type 1 and 2).

My testing procedure:
- Mount the share, start digiKam, create a colletion (pointing to the mountpoint)
- Copy some pictures to this collection (I checked that they are stored on the NAS)
- Metadata: Set some ratings and colors for that pictures
- Close digikam, unmount the share, start digiKam
- The collection is displayed empty (thats OK for me, but I noticed, the entries in table "Albums" disappeared for that collection)
- Close digiKam, mount the share, start digiKam
- The pictures are displayed, but without Metadata

All hints or suggestions are very welcome...

Thanks in advance!
Ronny