[Digikam-users] Digikam migrating database and images from one NAS to another

Rei Shinozuka shino at panix.com
Sat Oct 10 18:50:58 BST 2015

I am a Big--no make that Huge--fan of digiKam, the community and the
amazing work Gilles tirelessly performs on behalf of the user base.

I have a question about migrating a relatively large collection of
images.  I have approximately 1 TB of images under digiKam on a NAS ,
mounted

     /data/nas1 (filesystem hosted on NAS device nas1)

which I'd like to move to a new device with a new mountpoint to

     /data/nas2 (filesystem hosts on NAS device nas2)

The .digikam SQLite 3.x database is on a local disk, because I last read
(and this was 5 years ago) that because of file locking protocols you
shouldn't keep it on a NAS device.  (If possible it would be great to
keep it on the NAS).

I know I can rsync the image data (album directories, jpg and raw files)
from nas1 to nas2 and then have digikam rebuild the database, but I'd
lose the metadata (thumbnails, notes, ratings).  It's not a dealbreaker,
but with 12 years of history and a terabyte of images it would be nice
to keep that metadata.

What would be the official recommended method of moving from nas1 to
nas2 to preserve metadata in the .digikam file?  Or alternatively a
method to extract from the old .digikam file into the new one?

thanks!

-rei