[Digikam-users] digikam slow when opening an album

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Thu Oct 1 09:41:48 BST 2015

Hi,

The thumbnails in digiKam are stored in a dedicated database sqlite file.
Look my root collection on my host linux computer mounted on a SSD :

[gilles at localhost photos]$ pwd
/mnt/data2/photos
[gilles at localhost photos]$ ls -al
total 1332572
drwxrwxrwx  5 gilles gilles       4096 Sep 30 22:11 ./
drwxr-xr-x  6 root   root         4096 Jul  6 18:04 ../
drwxrwxr-x 55 gilles gilles       4096 Sep  5  2014 AGNES/
-rw-r--r--  1 gilles gilles   64644096 Sep 30 22:11 digikam4.db
drwxrwxrwx  4 gilles gilles       4096 Dec  4  2013 GILLES/
drwxrwxr-x 53 gilles gilles       4096 May 11 23:13 TESTS/
-rw-r--r--  1 gilles gilles 1299880960 Sep 30 22:11 thumbnails-digikam.db
[gilles at localhost photos]$ du -hs
229G    .

The thumbnails-digikam.db only store wavelets compressed thumbnails. As you
can see it's huge, because i use WQHD flat screens here and I turned on the
HD thumbs support (512*512 pixels instead 256*256). A DB file is used
instead file-system to speedup thumbnails access in all cases : local,
remote, and removable collections. For ex, if disk is not available,
displaying thumbs still possible.

To test if DB is corrupted, you can delete/rename safely the DB file for
thumbnails. There is no extra metatada in this file. It will be re-created
automatically at next session, but this take a while to regenerate thumbs
until there are cached in DB. You can use the Maintenance tool to recreate
all thumbnails, but take a coffee and be patient.

Best