[Digikam-users] Some considerations concerning running digiKam on a Mac

Wilfried Käding wilfried.kaeding at vodafone.de
Sun Mar 29 16:10:48 BST 2015

> Am 29.03.2015 um 15:01 schrieb Gilles Caulier <caulier.gilles at gmail.com>:

> So, this goal is already in the way through Qt5 digiKam port. 60% of
> KDE dependencies are removed.

This is encouraging news. In fact, I believe that a native build of digiKam for Mac OS X could be a huge success, since there is no alternative to digiKam as a serious photo management software under Mac OS X. iPhoto, as I said, is just a nice toy, and the test reports about the new Fotos for OS X app do not sound as if it was worth while to spend 80 Euro for that.

> Since recent OSX update, i see Qt/KDE widget completly broken. I don't
> know why. I susupect that widget style used by KDE have not been
> tested under mac. In the past, this problem doesn't exist.

I did not have this problem. Two days ago, I installed the new digiKam version (4.8.0) from macports, and, apart from a few difficulties with missing libraries during the installation, which I had to install separately, nearly everything I tested worked quite well. Only the import from camera did not work at all. My OS X version is 10.10.2.

Wilfried Käding