[Digikam-users] Best method to move the complete photo collection

Marie-Noëlle Augendre mnaugendre at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 13:53:20 GMT 2015

Metadata are written to files if you choose so: see different options the
Configuration Menu.

In any case, they are in Digikam database, that is not necessary on the
same drive as the actual files. For example, I have almost all my pictures
on external drives, but the database remains in my user folder on the
internal drive; and Digikam has always access to it, whatever external
drive is plugged in or not.

As for the complete move of your collections, I have always done this
outside Digikam, with my usual file manager. This is much faster as Digikam
doesn't try to keep track of any individual modification. And anyway, it
will check the entire collections on your new drive.

Marie-Noëlle

> I am not sure, but i suppose using digikam to move images would be better.
>
> I think the only "problem" of this, is that digikam first copies and than
> deletes the old album.
>
> I've had the same isses, so i moved around files in digikam, it took a
> while.. at least there is a progress bar!
>
> Moving the foldes with a filemanager may result in lost tags.. if they are
> not stored in files.. happens with videos and if you have not set the
> option to save metadata in images!
>
> Hope i did som help.
>
> I would wait for someone with more experience to answer anyway!
>
> Em seg, 23 de mar de 2015 às 06:14, Florian Hennig <flo.hennig at gmail.com>
> escreveu:
>
> Hey guys!
>>
>> I'm looking for the best way to move my entire collection to a new
>> place, because I'm running out of space at my HDD. So I bought a new one
>> and inserted into my Computer but now I don't know how to move all
>> pictures to the new disc.
>>
>> Method 1:
>> Use a filemanager for moving all files to the new place and afterwards
>> tell digikam to add a new libary and delete the old one
>>
>> Method 2:
>> Use digikam for moving the files to the new disk.
>>
>> I have about 20.000 images in the current collection, folders sorted by
>> date in the ISO format.
>>

>> Thanks for helping,
>> Flo

*Les calendriers 2015 sont disponibles sur le site lulu.com :*
<http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/mnaugendre>

[image:
http://www.lulu.com/shop/marie-no%C3%ABlle-augendre/calendrier-aubrac-2015/calendar/product-21867668.html]
<http://www.lulu.com/shop/marie-no%C3%ABlle-augendre/calendrier-aubrac-2015/calendar/product-21867668.html>[image: