[Digikam-users] Folders, albums and collections

Boudewijn wankelwankel at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 19 12:55:12 BST 2015

On 19-6-2015 13:29, jdd wrote:
> Le 19/06/2015 13:08, Agustin Lobo a écrit :
>
>> an Album is not a Folder. A folder can contain
>> even different kinds of files. Actually, most folders in the world do
>> have files of different types. Folder is a totally different
>> concept to Album.
>
> So there could be two solutions:
>
> 1) do not remove non empty folders. The user may have to look in the
> folder elsewhere, it may be confusing
>
> 2) show inside digikam every kind of file, greyed out, or marked "not an
> image"
>
> in fact I would like to have the second option. don't know if it's
> possible without too much rewriting

I have a light aversion against using "solution" as the term applicable,
as that implies that there is a problem to be solved in the first place.

I can imagine a third option, a check if there is any (hidden?) file
with another extension than those managed by DigiKam. If that is the
case, give the user a warning that there files in that directory that
are not visible through DigiKam.

Again: I use DigiKam to manage photo's (and more and more often
video's). I don't have audiobooks, application letters or tax files in
the directory structure that is for photo data. All files in a specific
directory containing photo-data are just that: files relating to those
photo's. In my case, if I were to delete a specific photo-directory, I
also wanted to delete everything in that directory.

Best regards,

Boudewijn