[Digikam-users] Renaming files

Peter Mc Donough mcd-mail-lists at gmx.net
Wed Jul 8 10:53:25 BST 2015

Am 07.07.2015 um 21:24 schrieb digikam at 911networks.com:

> How can I rename files?

The best idea is to use your operation system tools, as digikam also
uses them.

> I start with img_1234.cr2, I need/want to rename it to:
> dogs-vancouver-20150705-1234.cr2

Years ago, I realised that any type of numbering is a basis for chaos
with my collection.

Therefore I prefer a directory structure which represents certain types
of photos.
It could be in your case: pics/vancouver/animals/dogs.

For the photos themselves:

Using a tool: Before I do anything with the photos I have them
batch-renamed using the EXIF-information for YYYYMMDD_HHMMSS (24 hour
clock) in the photos plus additional information.

For example: Your photo, taken today, could change from
dogs_vancouver_123.cr2 to
20150708_132835x_collie.cr2

The "x" is used in case the camera can takes more than one picture in a
second (with bracketing for example).

This numbering allows for a natural sorting order and you can use
pictures from different cameras on the same shooting location with
clearly unique numbers, unless you shoot with both cameras a the same
time;-).

cu
Peter