[Digikam-users] Problems with "Write Metadata to Image"

Phil philtuckey at free.fr
Fri Jan 16 07:58:28 GMT 2015

Hi Piter

I have the same problem in all versions since the late 3.x up to
current, running on Mac OSX (10.6, 10.9, 10.10), with photos and
databases (sqlite) on the local disk. I have written to the list about
it once or twice but noone really confirmed so I have never opened a bug
report. Now would be a good time to do that!

I find that if I keep the same selection of photos and use "Write
Metadata to Image" a second time, a different (small) subset of the
photos gets the truncated sidecars. That is, the affected photos appear
to be "chosen" randomly and differently each time.

The terminal shows the following error message for each affected photo:

digikam(75673)/KEXIV2
KExiv2Iface::KExiv2::Private::printExiv2MessageHandler: Exiv2 ( 3 ) :
XMP Toolkit error 101: Unregistered schema namespace URI
digikam(75673)/KEXIV2
KExiv2Iface::KExiv2::Private::printExiv2MessageHandler: Exiv2 ( 3 ) :
Failed to encode XMP metadata.

However, as you say, "Write Metadata to Image" works on each image
individually, so the problem is NOT caused by a bad URI in the digikam
image metadata itself.

I did a test with darktable, which also uses Exiv2, and did not meet
this problem. Therefore I suppose that it comes somehow from the
specific way Exiv2 is called from within digikam.

Like you, I do not write metadata to my image files. However at one time
I did some tests and found there was also a problem when writing tags
simultaneously to large numbers of image files. I recall it was
apparently random loss of some tags, not complete loss of metadata as we
see with the sidecars.

Best
Philip