[Digikam-users] Questions about metadata and databases

cl at isbd.net cl at isbd.net
Mon Feb 16 13:49:06 GMT 2015

jeff <theonlyjeffjordan at gmail.com> wrote:
> I just checked the 'time stamp' and 'caption' boxes and added a title to
> one of my images. That title and time stamp appeared in the metadata
> under the IPTC tab.
>
> Hope that helps a little. I'm no expert.

Yes, I tried a few things to see if they were written to the image
metadata, and they were.  However the configuration options are not
very clear in how they work which is really why I asked the question.
I don't want to suddenly find I've lost a load of metadata.

> As for the odd graphics, I think it just is related to the entire check
> list. In other words, it's just showing that the items you check will
> all get written to the meta data. That dialog is asking which items you
> want to write to the meta data in list form. I may be wrong, but that's
> my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Maybe, however it does look very like a check box that has got
squashed and almost disappears for some reason.  The tick boxes all
look perfectly sensible but the odd things alongside "Write this
information to the Metadata" worry me.

Even odder, I just made the configuration settings window bigger and
now there are *three* of the blue dot and white oblong graphics
alongside the text!

> I have never used the Read/Write to/from sidecar feature, so can't help
> you on that one.

I'm not aiming to use these options either.  There's a bit that
worries me *there* though, in the same box as the Read/Write sidecar
files tick boxes is a box saying "Update file timestamp when files are
modified", does this only apply to sidecar files or does it apply to
writing metadata to the image files?

--
Chris Green
ยท