[Digikam-users] Questions about metadata and databases

cl at isbd.net cl at isbd.net
Wed Feb 11 17:57:59 GMT 2015

I want to be absolutely sure my metadata is always updated in the
image files.

So, if I go to:-

    Settings->Configure Digikam->Metadata

... and tick all the boxes at the top ('Image Tags', 'Caption and
Title', etc.) does this mean that Digikam always writes these to the
image file?

What are the odd looking graphics next to the text "Write this
Information to the Metadata"? On my systems there's a tiny blue circle
with a very thin box next to it and, underneath that an even tinier
blue spot and a line next to it.

Are the 'Read from Sidecar Files' and 'Write to Sidecar Files' in
addition to writing to the image files or instead?  I.e. do I have to
leave both of these boxes unticked if I want the data in the image
files?

Finally, what format(s) does Digikam use to write the Metadata?  At
the bottom of the Metadata settings it has links which describe EXIF,
IPTC and XMP but it doesn't say which ones it uses.

--
Chris Green
ยท