[Digikam-users] Some questions re collection on Network Share

Simon Cropper simoncropper at fossworkflowguides.com
Tue Feb 10 22:42:10 GMT 2015

On 10/02/15 22:42, cl at isbd.net wrote:
> Simon Cropper <simoncropper at fossworkflowguides.com> wrote:
>>
>> I agree with Marcel. The idea is to have both machines appear like the
>> NFS share is actually on the same machine. Both desktop and laptop
>> should appear as a local repository despite one or both actually being a
>> network based share. The point with NFS is that the end product is an
>> integrated directory that software is unable *and have no need* to
>> distinguish from the native filesystem (except when the directory is not
>> mounted).
>>
> So are you saying I should tell Digikam in both places that the
> pictures are in a local directory even if they're not (as in once case
> they will be an NFS mount)?

Yes

> I think the Digikam set-up for selecting where images are should be
> explained better - i.e. what difference does it make when you select
> NFS as opposed to local?

That's for the development team. I am just telling you how my NFS setup
works.

>> I use Ubuntu and seamlessly mount several linux (NFS exports) and
>> windows (CIFS/Samba Shares) machines to my local filesystem and use
>> rsync to sync my 'local' directories. This is a lot simpler than setting
>> up rsync to do this task.
>>
> Is it?   Surely using rsync the difference is just:-
>
>      rsync -a directory1 directory2
>
>      rsync -a machine:directory1 directory2

I suppose it is all relative. Let's say I found it easier to separate
the functions.

I found using rsync with password files problematic; my backups are not
monitored so I do not want to type in my password repetatively. Mounting
remote directories when booting with fstab or on the fly with
mount+credential_files was more reliable and easier to debug *for me*.

--
Cheers Simon

    Simon Cropper - Open Content Creator

    Free and Open Source Software Workflow Guides