[Digikam-users] Some questions re collection on Network Share

cl at isbd.net cl at isbd.net
Tue Feb 10 11:42:26 GMT 2015

Simon Cropper <simoncropper at fossworkflowguides.com> wrote:

> I agree with Marcel. The idea is to have both machines appear like the
> NFS share is actually on the same machine. Both desktop and laptop
> should appear as a local repository despite one or both actually being a
> network based share. The point with NFS is that the end product is an
> integrated directory that software is unable *and have no need* to
> distinguish from the native filesystem (except when the directory is not
> mounted).

So are you saying I should tell Digikam in both places that the
pictures are in a local directory even if they're not (as in once case
they will be an NFS mount)?

I think the Digikam set-up for selecting where images are should be
explained better - i.e. what difference does it make when you select
NFS as opposed to local?

> I use Ubuntu and seamlessly mount several linux (NFS exports) and
> windows (CIFS/Samba Shares) machines to my local filesystem and use
> rsync to sync my 'local' directories. This is a lot simpler than setting
> up rsync to do this task.

Is it?   Surely using rsync the difference is just:-

    rsync -a directory1 directory2

    rsync -a machine:directory1 directory2

--
Chris Green