[Digikam-users] Bad experience with "Open with"

Marie-Noëlle Augendre mnaugendre at gmail.com
Sun Apr 26 08:43:36 BST 2015

> Le 26/04/2015 08:39, Marie-Noëlle Augendre a écrit :
>
>      It ask to KDE desktop settings which top application is assigned to
>>     type mime to open (RAW file in this case).
>>

> sure: right click on the file in dolphin, properties,options of the
> file... Opening a file directly
>
> but what distribution do you use, in openSUSE 13.2 I don't see any
> "digikam" in the open with menu (I have for showfoto)

Fedora 21.
I even had Kate and "Wine application", that I just remove from the KDE
settings!
I'd rather leave Digikam in the KDE settings so I could open RAW from the
file manager (not that I do this often)... or should that be the Gnome
settings as I use Cinnamon as a desktop?

>    - for Gimp, Showfoto, etc. that don't include a file manager, one
>> instance per file is fine
>>

> it's not, I had the same odd situation you had, but with gimp :-). If you
> can open only one file, open the first only (or ask)

For Darktable, it's part of my usual workflow: I select a whole batch a
pictures in Digikam then import/open them in Darktable in one pass so I can
edit them before exporting TIFF back to Digikam albums.
I don't use Gimp often on pictures, but if do it'll be most often to make
some "montage" with several pictures; and in that case, I'rather want them
to be opened in one go. But Gimp different instances are independant.
That's different for Digikam because all the running instances want to
access the same database, and the whole system get stuck.

Marie-Noëlle

--

*Les calendriers 2015 sont disponibles sur le site lulu.com :*
<http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/mnaugendre>

[image:
http://www.lulu.com/shop/marie-no%C3%ABlle-augendre/calendrier-aubrac-2015/calendar/product-21867668.html]
<http://www.lulu.com/shop/marie-no%C3%ABlle-augendre/calendrier-aubrac-2015/calendar/product-21867668.html>[image: