[Digikam-users] Digital Asset Management (DAM) question: final formats, meta data and so on

Jan Wolter jan.wolter at uni-paderborn.de
Thu Sep 25 21:36:17 BST 2014

Hello,

I use the light-table to select the best shots from a particular series
of pictures and delete the others. Afterwards, I tag all photos and rate
the best shots. To the really best photos I apply some improving editing
operations.

With my old camera, I shot jpeg pictures only. With my new camera I shot
in jpeg+raw mode and I learned a lot about processing raw with digikam.
In some situations I got more satisfactory results from manual raw
processing. But this should be not the point writing about here. Instead
I would like to ask all of you shooting also jpeg+raw, how do you manage
the two file types in digikam.

Do you store jpeg and raw files in the same album or do you have
sub-albums for the raw files, for example?
I have all files (of a particular "project" or holiday) in one album and
use a filter to switch between jpeg and raw files.

Do you tag jpeg as well as raw files? Or do you tag only the jpeg files?
But when you derive a new jpeg from a raw file, you have to copy the
tags from the original jpeg (which the camera processed) to the new
jpeg. (By the way: provides digikam a function to copy all tags from one
image to another?) Up to now, I don't have a good strategy, how to
handle this aspect.

It would be nice to hear some thoughts and strategies how you handle
jpeg+raw files.

Bests,
Jan

  Jan Wolter, M.Sc.        | e-mail: jan.wolter at uni-paderborn.de
  Universitaet Paderborn   | http://ag-kastens.cs.upb.de/jwolter
  Fakultaet EIM/Informatik | Office: F2.303
  Fuerstenallee 11         | Phone:  +49 5251 606683
  33102 Paderborn, Germany | Fax:    +49 5251 606697