[Digikam-users] Digital Asset Management (DAM) question: final formats, meta data and so on

Anders Kamf digikam at kamf.se
Tue Sep 23 10:25:56 BST 2014

This is my workflow.

 -I work mainly with private photos, e.g. from family events and so on. I
handle photos from several cameras and from smart phones together. I put a
timestamp (from metadata) in the filename so they are displayed in
chronological order, even when viewed in a file browser.
 -Since I no longer have time for post processing, I use only JPEG - even
for photos from my DSLR cameras.
 -I want the information to travel with the picture, i.e. I store all as
metadata in the files.
 -I use rating to make a selection of pictures from each event, rather than
saying "rating 5 is a really good picture".

1. Transfer photos from cameras, together with rename and setting rating to
2, with a bash script to ~/photos/edit/YYYY/YYMMDD_EVENT, naming:
YYYYMMDD-HHMM_CAMERAID_ORGFILENAME
2. Manual backup of ~/photos/edit/ to external disc using rsync
3. Sort pictures using the rating and rating filter - viewing 2 stars and
above:
   a) Bad pictures gets rating 1 (I delete them all later on)
   b) Good pictures, but not duplicates, gets rating 3
   c) Change filter to 3 stars and above. If there are too many of rating
3, fine tune by set the best ones to rating 4. Continue to rating 5 if
needed.
4. Tag the finest selection with tag Selection-1, the next finest with
Selection-2 and so on. This way the finest selection from an event is
always tagged Selection-1, no matter if the finest rating has reached 3, 4
or 5 stars.
5. Occasionally, do some manual editing like crop
6. Apply additional tags
7. Move from edit directory to ~photos/album/YYYY/, which has automated
backup with rsnapshot

I put a small JPEG-file in each directory (with the initial script) and use
it to keep track of my workflow progress for that directory and for
information/notes that goes for the whole directory. This is my way to
store metadata for a folder.

Regards
Anders