[Digikam-users] Digital Asset Management (DAM) question: final formats, meta data and so on

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Sun Sep 21 20:01:59 BST 2014

> Gilles,
>
>> There is a benefit to use DNG instead CR2 ?
> I use (more correct started sometime ago) DNG because of its openness (also
> according to the manual of Digikam).
>
>> In more generic approach, there is a benefit to use RAW instead JPEG ?
> I think you know all possible answers on the question RAW vs JPEG.
> As I already said I store RAW files only for some photos (e.g. to reprocess
> them in the future and/or as  proof of authorship). End format is JPEG.
>
> So, you don't store RAW origins and your photo archive consists of only JPEGs,
> do you?

My workflow : JPEG (high speed shooting) -> selection -> convert 16
bits -> editing -> save as PNG or TIFF in 16 bits.

I use also versioning, but not all the time.

The choice of JPEG is simple : i won't to replay all camera post
processing myself. My camera is enough expensive to estimate the
firmware enough powerful to process image properly.

My dream is to see JPEG like format using 12/14/16 bits color depth
instead 8 bits.

To resume : my free time is very precious, and i won't to waste time
with post processing on computer.

Gilles Caulier