[Digikam-users] Digital Asset Management (DAM) question: final formats, meta data and so on

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Sun Sep 21 13:01:08 BST 2014

> Hi!
>
> Could you please share your DAM flow in details?
> My one is:
> 1. Import photographs from camera to ~/photos/YEAR/EVENT/raw
> 2. Convert cr2 raw files to dng
> 3. Remove all really bad pics and flag (red, yellow and gree) all other
> 4. Batch convert dng files with some corrections (WB/sharp/contrast) in 16bit
> mode to jpg **without compression**
> 5. Make manual editing for some of them
> 6. Move jpg files to dir one level above
> 7. Remove dng files with red flag
> 8. Comment, star, tag and so on to **jpegs**
> 9. Export some images to public website (remove all metada, resize to 1024x,
> add watermark, add tag "Public" to the origin)
> 10. Do backup (rsync) of ~/photos every week to external drive
>
> So I store jpg files with metadata in it and dng ones  for **some of them**  in
> separate directory
> As you can see I don't use versions feature.  What is limitations of such DAM
> flow?

There is a benefit to use DNG instead CR2 ?

In more generic approach, there is a benefit to use RAW instead JPEG ?
For me now, excepted with some shots conditions. JPEG is always enough
in 90%.

I plan to introduce 16 bits/color/pixels auto-conversion of JPEG to
reduce editing color side-effect in editor (optional of course).

Do not start troll about RAW versus JPEG. I know very well all
advantages and dis-avantages of both formats. I would just to have
feedback about time processing here in workflow.