[Digikam-users] updated to DK4.3.0 but it crashes and cannot go back to 4.2.0...

Remco Viƫtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Thu Sep 18 06:15:29 BST 2014

On Wednesday 17 September 2014 21:01:24 Gian Paolo Sanino Vattier wrote:
> Hi, I wonder if other may be experiencing the same as I do.
> I have auto-update enabled (I know, It should not), and today my DK
> 4.2.0 got updated to DK 4.3.0 (nice dog on the welcome picture btw).
> The problem is that this version crashes just a second after its process
> is 100% done (when thumbnails should show up). Repeating attempts
> produce the same result (crashed) but sometimes it reaches to show some
> thumbnails when it crushes.
>
> I checked the phonon backend and tried with Gstreamer as well as with
> VLC, with no difference.
>
> This is under OpenSuSE 13.1-x86_64 with KDE 4.11.5
>
> If I try running DK from the konsole, I get this:
(...)

> I tried cleaning temp files as well as rebooting the PC, and checking
> updates with Yast, but nothing seems to solve the problem. I have no
> clue how to solve this DK4.3.0 crash, and I use DK for work and this is
> urgent for me, so I decided to go back to 4.2.0 however I have not been
> able. I only found it on the "Factory" repo, but it request for
> kdebase4-runtime  version >=4.14.0 but all my KDE is 4.11.5 (which is
> supposed to be up to date "stable" SuSE release). I may try to update to
> KDE 4.14.0 but this can result in total mess. I just do not understand
> why I cannot go back to the same version of DK 4.2.0 that I had just
> hours ago in thi very same KDE... maybe it is a SuSE packaging issue and
> not a DK issue, no idea.
>
> Anybody else with this issue? or any hint where to look for a solution?
> Thanks a lot
> gps

I don't know how you use Digikam, and which part of the functionality you
use, but you can go back to Digikam 3.5.0 (which is still in the Yast
repositories for OpenSuse 13.1). I've been switching back and forth between
3.5 and 4.x a few times without problems, but back up the databases to be
safe(r).

Remco