[Digikam-users] updated to DK4.3.0 but it crashes and cannot go back to 4.2.0...

Gian Paolo Sanino Vattier gpsanino at vtr.net
Thu Sep 18 01:01:24 BST 2014

Hi, I wonder if other may be experiencing the same as I do.
I have auto-update enabled (I know, It should not), and today my DK
4.2.0 got updated to DK 4.3.0 (nice dog on the welcome picture btw).
The problem is that this version crashes just a second after its process
is 100% done (when thumbnails should show up). Repeating attempts
produce the same result (crashed) but sometimes it reaches to show some
thumbnails when it crushes.

I checked the phonon backend and tried with Gstreamer as well as with
VLC, with no difference.

This is under OpenSuSE 13.1-x86_64 with KDE 4.11.5

If I try running DK from the konsole, I get this:

user at GPS-Desktop:~> digikam
Object::connect: No such signal
org::freedesktop::UPower::DeviceAdded(QDBusObjectPath)
Object::connect: No such signal
org::freedesktop::UPower::DeviceRemoved(QDBusObjectPath)
QSqlDatabasePrivate::removeDatabase: connection 'ConnectionTest' is
still in use, all queries will cease to work.
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 10 and type 'Read', disabling...
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 13 and type 'Read', disabling...
QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 16 and type 'Read', disabling...
digikam: Fatal IO error: client killed
KCrash: Application 'digikam' crashing...
KCrash: Attempting to start /usr/lib64/kde4/libexec/drkonqi from kdeinit
sock_file=/home/polo/.kde4/socket-GPS-Desktop/kdeinit4__0
Fatal Error: Accessed global static 'FileReadWriteLockStaticPrivate
*static_d()' after destruction. Defined at
/home/abuild/rpmbuild/BUILD/digikam-4.3.0/core/libs/threadimageio/filereadwritelock.cpp:385
Unable to start Dr. Konqi

I tried cleaning temp files as well as rebooting the PC, and checking
updates with Yast, but nothing seems to solve the problem. I have no
clue how to solve this DK4.3.0 crash, and I use DK for work and this is
urgent for me, so I decided to go back to 4.2.0 however I have not been
able. I only found it on the "Factory" repo, but it request for
kdebase4-runtime  version >=4.14.0 but all my KDE is 4.11.5 (which is
supposed to be up to date "stable" SuSE release). I may try to update to
KDE 4.14.0 but this can result in total mess. I just do not understand
why I cannot go back to the same version of DK 4.2.0 that I had just
hours ago in thi very same KDE... maybe it is a SuSE packaging issue and
not a DK issue, no idea.

Anybody else with this issue? or any hint where to look for a solution?
Thanks a lot
gps