[Digikam-users] searching thru tag hierarchy

Peter Albrecht peter at crazymonkeys.de
Fri Sep 12 08:51:09 BST 2014

Hi Luca,

Task 1:

On the right side, there is a tab called "Filters", which
filters the current pictures in the middle view (coming from
an album, tag selection, advanced search, ...). In this view
on the right, you can select more than one tag:
E.g. "cat" and "dog"
Below the Tag-Tree view, there is a little screw driver.
Clicking this one, you can change the logical tag operation
from "OR" to "AND".
So the images, shown in the middle will be filtered to
those, having "cat" and "dog" tag assigned.

Of course, you have to fill the middle area with images in
the first place. If you have digiKam 4.x.0 (introduced
multiple tag selection) you could use the "Tags" tab on the
left side and select your tags "cat" and "dog". This will
bring up an OR selection of your images, which you can
filter with the method explained above.

To do this in "Advanced Search":
 - Open the "Advanced Search" dialog
 - under "Tags": "Return pictures with tag" select your
   first tag: e.g. "dogs"
 - click the button "Add Search Group"
   -> this brings up new controls and input field at the
      buttom of the dialog
 - look for an underlined "OR" and click it, to switch it
   to "AND"
 - below this "AND"
 - under "Tags": "Return pictures with tag" select your
   second tag: e.g. "cat"
 - start your search

This will bring up pictures with cats AND dogs.
(You can add more than one search group.)
it is very generic and therefor very powerful! :)
(Kind of regular expression for images ;)

Task 2:

Please make sure, you have selected in the main menu:
  View -> Include Tag Sub-Tree

Regards,
	Peter