[Digikam-users] Searching images on usb disks

Marina Ciatta maciatta at openmailbox.org
Fri Sep 5 21:01:03 BST 2014

Hello,

I am new to digikam, and to this list too :)
Actually, I am being trying digikam for a future project.
Briefly, the idea is to build a database for a large amount of
images, images being stored on several usb disks (typically
from 15 to 20).
What is expected is to be able to search the database on keywords
and technical hints on images. No images edition is necessary.

I did tests with 4 usb disks, plugging them one after the other
and declaring new collection on removable media, then scanning
for new images. All worked perfectly fine (though a bit long).

Problems come when I do some search tries, with some keywords
I known they exist in many images. Nothing appears in the
search results. Or, more precisely, only images belonging to the
last scanned disk, still plugged, appear; not the others.

This is a bit surprising for me, as after reading digikam docs
I thought all the indexing data, keywords, tags et al., was stored
in a database local to my computer.
I am aware that without a disk plugged, the image itself cannot be
accessed nor edited, but shouldn't it appear at least in the search
results icons views ?

How can I do that ? Did I misunderstand something ?
Did I do something wrong ? Did I missed something, an option ?
Help and hints would be warmly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Saluti,
Marina

--
- CIATTA M.