[Digikam-users] Crashes in many circumstances

Philippe Clérié philippe at gcal.net
Tue Oct 14 02:38:52 BST 2014

On 10/11/2014 01:43 PM, Noeck wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use Digikam 3.5 under Ubuntu 14.04 (Qt: 4.8.6, KDE: 4.13.3). It
> crashes very often (every 10-30 min) when editing images, changing
> metadata, switching between albums.
> In order to send meaningful bug reports, I installed digikam-dbg and
> kdelibs5-dbg. But the stack trace is still not shown and it keeps saying
> that this is no helpful bug report.
>
> What can I do to find the reason of these crashes?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Daniel

I never got 3.5 working to my satisfaction: impossible to edit in any
way shape or form. 4.0 to 4.3 crashed all the time, and not necessarily
for the same reasons. The 2 really bad problems are with SQlite and
libkexiv2. There are solutions it seems, but they have not appeared in
Kubuntu 14.04 as far as I can tell, and I have been running on
backports, Kubuntu PPA and another PPA for digikam.

I am now experimenting a bit with Digikam 4.2 on Kubuntu 14.10. It
appears to be more stable. I was able to work for a few hours a couple
of days ago. But then a system update brought me a bad kernel. Been
fighting Kubuntu since then. (It's a beta; so par for the course!)

I have just downgraded to a previous kernel so now that my system is up
again I can eventually continue checking out 4.2. Crossing fingers and
praying to the spirits.

I have not had any particular problem with the database itself, but it
probably won't hurt to rebuild it.

Hope that helps!

--
Philippe

------
The trouble with common sense it that it is so uncommon.
<Anonymous>