[Digikam-users] RAW file preview using embedded JPEG ?

Vincent Tassy photo at tassy.net
Mon Oct 13 18:07:25 BST 2014

Ok, here's something interesting ...

I have CR2 files produced by the 3 Canon cameras I own: 400D, 60D, S100

on my Home computer (Digikam 4.3) only the preview of the CR2 produced by the 60D show the embedded JPEG preview - previewing the CR2 from 400D and S100 show
Half size Raw preview.

On my work laptop (Digikam 3.5) all the CR2 files are previewed based on the embedded JPG ...

Odd isn't it ?

What I see by using exiftool -PreviewImage is that the embedded JPG of my 60D CR2 are 17Mpx whereas the embedded JPGs in the 400D is 2.5Mpx and the S100 2Mpx

Given that my home computer has a much larger screen resolution than my work laptop, could the behaviour I'm seeing be due to that difference in the available
Mpx of the preview JPGs ? Does digikam override the setting if it thinks there's not enough pixels for the preview image ?

Just guessing :/

Vince.