[Digikam-users] Nikon RAW support

Simon Cropper simoncropper at fossworkflowguides.com
Mon Mar 17 13:57:59 GMT 2014

On 17/03/14 22:58, Gilles Caulier wrote:
> Hi,
>
> digiKam use LibRaw decoder to handle RAW files. This include Nikon
> files of course.
>
> http://www.libraw.org
>
> First, go to Help/Components Info dialog to see which libraw version you use.
> Second, look in Help/Raw files support dialog to see if your camera is
> supported.
>
> D70 is a common Nikon camera, and i'm sure to have already tested it
> in the past. Look my screenshot here :
>
> https://www.flickr.com/photos/digikam/13216942894/sizes/o/
>
> To be sure, you can send me a file sample by a private email, to test
> on my computer. Perhaps NEF file metadata have been corrupted by
> another 3rd party application.
>
> Best
>
> Gilles Caulier

>> New user - needing a (different) photo organiser, so trying digikam for the first time (under Cinnamon not kde on Mint 16).
>>
>> So, loaded up a few thousand old photos - looked good. Except ... digikam is unable to load nef from my old D70. The jpegs are fine.
>> Went and grabbed a nef from my D7000, and digikam can handle that ok.
>>
>> Loaded the D70 shots under Nikons Capture 4 (an old Windows XP box I'm decommisioning - the source of these shots) and they load (and look) fine.
>>
>> Searching didn't show anything obvious - anyone willing to hazard a guesss at what may be wrong - that I can fix ?.
>>
>> Thanks ...

I use a D70s and it work fine. I recollect others have had problems in
the past when programs used to tag an image corrupted the NEF metadata
making them invisible to digikam -- no thumbnails, nothing.

Have you tested photos not opened by any other program, copied from you
camera directly to an album that digikam can see?

Also it might shed some light if you explain what you mean load? Can you
see thumbnails and the editor will not work, or is the file invisible to
digikam?

If you are happy to share an image, I'll test it on my installation. I
am using Ubuntu 13.10, Gnome Classic. I'll report back to the list and
delete the image.

--
Cheers Simon

    Simon Cropper - Open Content Creator

    Free and Open Source Software Workflow Guides