[Digikam-users] Tags and everything related to them

Wolfgang Mader Wolfgang_Mader at brain-frog.de
Wed Jul 23 22:01:31 BST 2014

On Wednesday 23 July 2014 22:33:10 Veaceslav Munteanu wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 10:12 PM, Gilles Caulier
>
> <caulier.gilles at gmail.com> wrote:
> > digiKam always write tags in XMP, into dedicated "digiKam" namespace.
> >
> > After to write and read, as this XMP namespace is the first checked to
> > sync database, other and old place in exif, iptc or xmp where tags are
> > recorded must be ignored.
>
> If you delete tags then sync, new read will look into the own
> namespace then if nothing found(all tags were deleted) it will go to
> next namespace(from the code there are 5 places which are checked).
>
> What I tried to test is the ability of Tags Manager to delete all from
> database and then sync database to images, but after re-read, all tags
> are back.
>
> Sometimes users request to read for new namespaces and support is
> added, but only for read and when it comes to writing, digiKam is no
> longer consistent and it result in a big mess of old, new and tags
> impossible to delete.

This is exactly my experience. It is impossible to add a tag and to get rid of
it again using Digikam. I raised this problem a couple of times on the list,
but somehow I was not able to make myself clear.

Right now I use exiv2 on the command line to clear tags from images. It would
be _great_, however, to have a consistent handling of tags withing Digikam.