[Digikam-users] Tags and everything related to them

Veaceslav Munteanu veaceslav.munteanu90 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 23 20:33:10 BST 2014

On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 10:12 PM, Gilles Caulier
<caulier.gilles at gmail.com> wrote:
> digiKam always write tags in XMP, into dedicated "digiKam" namespace.
>
> After to write and read, as this XMP namespace is the first checked to
> sync database, other and old place in exif, iptc or xmp where tags are
> recorded must be ignored.
If you delete tags then sync, new read will look into the own
namespace then if nothing found(all tags were deleted) it will go to
next namespace(from the code there are 5 places which are checked).

What I tried to test is the ability of Tags Manager to delete all from
database and then sync database to images, but after re-read, all tags
are back.

Sometimes users request to read for new namespaces and support is
added, but only for read and when it comes to writing, digiKam is no
longer consistent and it result in a big mess of old, new and tags
impossible to delete.

>> Hello Veaceslav,
>> I may be wrong here, but my understanding is that Digikam does not
>> "always" modify IPTC and XMP. It only syncs with IPTC if there is no XMP
>> data available. So the situation is even worst than presented. My old
>> IPTC data keep reappearing and is not even near to be in sync with XMP
>> and the database.

I'm working on it, and it will update every field it can read. I'm
reworking tags read/write subsystem a little, to improve overall tag
consistency.