[Digikam-users] DK 2.6: tags/caption from sqlite --> jpg (no go)

Boudewijn Kranendonk wankelwankel at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 4 21:14:03 BST 2014

Hi list,

Sorry for using such an old version of DK (and thanks for keeping improving
it): I use 2.6 on Debian Wheezy. For a while I have turned off writing metadata
to file, to speed up tagging photos.

I intended to use "Image/Write metadata to image" afterwards. Now it turns out
I can't get Digikam to write the tags from sqlite to jpg using that function.

Am I mistaken in the functionality? Is it supposed to work in 2.6? I remember
using it in a distant past, probable before v1.9. After turning on writing to
the images (via "Settings/Metadata/Behaviour" and ticking some boxes in the
"Write this information to the metadata") and writing a single tag, all tags
get rewritten from metadata to jpg.

So as a workaround I added a "touch"-tag, that I added to all images in an
album and afterwards removed, but it didn't work as expected: the new tag was
added to the file (added to the incomplete list of tags in the file), but not
the rest of the tags in sqlite. To my surprise: removing the "touch"-tag from
the image set would remove it from the images in sqlite, but not from the
images. It did write the other tags though!

Is anyone using this ancient version of DK and can confirm my findings, or even
knows a better workaround?

(Even with the workaround, my workflow is much faster when not writing to file,
so there's a benefit in the experiment ;-) )

Best regards,

Boudewijn