[Digikam-users] File weight different in Digikam than in other file management tools

Jean-François Rabasse jf at e-artefact.eu
Tue Jan 21 18:39:20 GMT 2014

On Tue, 21 Jan 2014, Marie-Noëlle Augendre wrote:

> Except that for this particuliar picture I had to go down to 72% quality,
> and at that level, 1% could make a real difference, and moreover as it was a
> night picture that could real bad when it's compressed too much.

Hmmm, not sure for a « real difference ».
You should do tests and see what happens.

(I've just done some, as I was curious to see the result. Took one of my
images, not exactly night but sunset with difficult light conditions,
1/25 sec, F/5.3, ISO 3200.
I've resized to 1024, as you mentionned earlier, and ran 3 compressions
with convert, quality 71%, 72%, 73%.
I got three identical images, more or less. I'm unable to say which one
is which one. But it could also depend on the image content.)

Anyway, if you really have the problem to fit under an imposed size limit,
there's no other way that tests and tries, and count the bytes. :)

Jean-François