[Digikam-users] Digikam 4.0 won't run on Linux Mint 17.1: vanishes after album scan

Tom Rank tom at literaryconnections.co.uk
Fri Dec 19 18:47:17 GMT 2014

Hi Philip

Thanks for responding each time. Yes, there are more reports here.
First, I can say that running

sudo apt-get install digikam=4:4.6.0-trusty~ppa1kde414
digikam-data=4:4.6.0-trusty~ppa1kde414

- does install Digikam 4.6.0, but it still has the old problems - it
displays the loading screen, then disappears.

So I tried these steps:

sudo apt-get install kipi-plugins

leads to:
Unpacking kipi-plugins (4:4.0.0-0ubuntu1~ubuntu14.04~ppa2) ...
dpkg: error processing archive
/var/cache/apt/archives/kipi-plugins_4%3a4.0.0-0ubuntu1~ubuntu14.04~ppa2_amd64.deb
(--unpack):
  trying to overwrite
'/usr/share/kde4/config.kcfg/photolayoutseditor.kcfg', which is also in
package digikam 4:4.6.0-trusty~ppa1kde414
dpkg-deb: error: subprocess paste was killed by signal (Broken pipe)

/var/cache/apt/archives/kipi-plugins_4%3a4.0.0-0ubuntu1~ubuntu14.04~ppa2_amd64.deb

sudo apt-get install libkexiv2-11
produces:

libkexiv2-11 is already the newest version.
libkexiv2-11 set to manually installed.
required:
   kipi-plugins-common libksane-data libksane0

AND:

E: Unable to locate package libexiv2

Then I picked up the suggestion to change the priority of the software
sources, which is borne out by what I found (even though I could install
4.6.0 - but perhaps not all the necessary files?)

Here's the result of "apt-cache policy":

apt-cache policy digikam
digikam:
   Installed: 4:4.6.0-trusty~ppa1kde414
   Candidate: 4:4.6.0-trusty~ppa1kde414
   Version table:
  *** 4:4.6.0-trusty~ppa1kde414 0
         500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/philip5/kubuntu-backports/ubuntu/
trusty/main amd64 Packages
         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
      4:4.6.0-trusty~ppa1 0
         500 http://ppa.launchpad.net/philip5/extra/ubuntu/ trusty/main
amd64 Packages
      4:4.0.0-0ubuntu1~ubuntu14.04~ppa2 0
         700 http://packages.linuxmint.com/ rebecca/import amd64 Packages
      4:3.5.0-0ubuntu10 0
         500 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty/universe amd64
Packages

The main repositories are like this:

700 http://extra.linuxmint.com/ rebecca/main amd64 Packages
      release v=17.1,o=linuxmint,a=rebecca,n=rebecca,l=linuxmint,c=main
      origin extra.linuxmint.com

So: how to change this setting?
-------------------------

I assume I need to create a preference file in /etc/apt, along these
lines, with the priority higher than 700, so:

Package: *
Pin: origin [on the lines of: "packages.linuxmint.com" I assume?]
Pin-Priority: 800

Despite some searching on this topic, I'm still a bit confused  - and
don't want to have to keep changing the file when a new version of
Digikam or dependencies are released.

Thanks!

Tom

PS: what happens when I run

digikam - is this

digikam(5903)/kdeui (KIconLoader): Error: standard icon theme "oxygen"
not found!

Object::connect: No such signal
org::freedesktop::UPower::DeviceAdded(QDBusObjectPath)
Object::connect: No such signal
org::freedesktop::UPower::DeviceRemoved(QDBusObjectPath)
digikam(5903)/kdeui (KIconLoader): Error: standard icon theme "oxygen"
not found!

digikam(5903): No ksycoca4 database available!

digikam(5903)/kdecore (trader) KServiceTypeTrader::defaultOffers:
KServiceTypeTrader: serviceType  "QImageIOPlugins"  not found
digikam(5903) KPixmapSequence::Private::loadSequence: Invalid pixmap
specified.
digikam(5903) KPixmapSequence::Private::loadSequence: Invalid pixmap
specified.
digikam(5903) KPixmapSequence::Private::loadSequence: Invalid pixmap
specified.
digikam(5903) KPixmapSequence::Private::loadSequence: Invalid pixmap
specified.
digikam(5903) KPixmapSequence::Private::loadSequence: Invalid pixmap
specified.
digikam(5903)/kdecore (K*TimeZone*): KSystemTimeZones: ktimezoned
initialize() D-Bus call failed:  "The name org.kde.kded was not provided
by any .service files"

digikam(5903)/kdecore (K*TimeZone*): No time zone information obtained
from ktimezoned
digikam: symbol lookup error: digikam: undefined symbol:
_ZNK11KExiv2Iface14AltLangStrEdit8textEditEv

Which seems to be the same as before.

Tom Rank | tom at literaryconnections.co.uk | 01457 850966