[Digikam-users] Digikam 4.0 won't run on Linux Mint 17.1: vanishes after album scan

Tom Rank tom at literaryconnections.co.uk
Wed Dec 17 23:11:30 GMT 2014

Hi Mick

Thanks: it is helpful to know you're running DK 4.5 on a similar system.
In fact, my laptop is running Mint 17.1 and Digikam 4.0.0 without
complaining - but it only has a dozen photos to handle, and there isn't
room to install my photo collection on the laptop, even if I wanted to.

However, now I've had time to look at it carefully, it hasn't got me
much further.

Your list of PPAs includes:
http://ppa.launchpad.net/philip5/kubuntu-backports/ubuntu trusty main
http://ppa.launchpad.net/kubuntu-ppa/backports/ubuntu trusty main

But not this suggested by Philip:
ppa:philip5/extra

Anyway, using the PPAs suggested by Philip (ppa:philip5/extra
and ppa:philip5/kubuntu-backports), I've again reinstalled Digikam - but
still only get 4.0.0 (with KDE 4.14.2)- and still it won't open any
image folders, and won't show any images, JPEG or RAW.

Using right click on a folder (where I know there are images) or the
menu item 'open in file manager' just crashes the program.

Here are some reports from the terminal:

It seems I have installed:
Qt: 4.8.6
KDE Development Platform: 4.14.2
digiKam: 4.0.0

Suggested additions at install time included:
digikam-doc systemsettings libqt4-sql-mysql hspell kdelibs5-plugins

[Should I install these myself?]

Error messages on running:

digikam(14417)/kdeui (KIconLoader): Error: standard icon theme "oxygen"
not found!

Object::connect: No such signal
org::freedesktop::UPower::DeviceAdded(QDBusObjectPath)
Object::connect: No such signal
org::freedesktop::UPower::DeviceRemoved(QDBusObjectPath)
QSqlDatabasePrivate::removeDatabase: connection 'ConnectionTest' is
still in use, all queries will cease to work.
digikam(14417)/kdeui (KIconLoader): Error: standard icon theme "oxygen"
not found!

digikam(14417): No ksycoca4 database available!

digikam(14417)/kdecore (trader) KServiceTypeTrader::defaultOffers:
KServiceTypeTrader: serviceType  "QImageIOPlugins"  not found

[....]

digikam(14417): couldn't create slave: "Cannot talk to klauncher: The
name org.kde.klauncher was not provided by any .service files"
[...]
digikam(14417)/kdecore (trader) KServiceTypeTrader::defaultOffers:
KServiceTypeTrader: serviceType  "Digikam/ImagePlugin"  not found
[...]
digikam(14417)/kdecore (trader) mimeTypeSycocaOffers: KMimeTypeTrader:
mimeType "inode/directory" not found
digikam(14417): No ksycoca4 database available!

digikam(14417)/kdecore (trader): KMimeTypeTrader: couldn't find service
type "Application"
Please ensure that the .desktop file for it is installed; then run
kbuildsycoca4.
KCrash: Application 'digikam' crashing...
KCrash: Attempting to start  from kdeinit
KCrash: Connect sock_file=/home/tom/.kde/socket-Dickens/kdeinit4__0
Warning: connect() failed: : No such file or directory
KCrash: Attempting to start  directly
KCrash failed to exec(), errno = 2
Unable to start Dr. Konqi
Not forwarding the crash to Apport.

So it seems I still have things missing. Is this information any help to
someone better informed than me?

Thanks!

Tom

Tom Rank | tom at literaryconnections.co.uk | 01457 850966