[Digikam-users] articuRe: Preview is "better" than RAW conversion?

Remco Viƫtor remco.vietor at wanadoo.fr
Sun Aug 31 13:36:03 BST 2014

> Am 31.08.2014 um 14:08 schrieb Jeff Robinson:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > If it is of any interest, I bashed together a small script that will
> > copy the preview JPEG (which I believe is full size and already
> > processed) out of Pentax RAW (PEF) files.
> >
> > The script works (using ufraw-batch) against either a whole directory
or
> > will convert files based on names supplied, either single or multiple
> > files.
> >
> > Once the JPEG has been extracted the script then copies the XMP file
> > from the PEF to the JPEG and uses exiftool to write the EXIF
information
> > from the PEF to the new JPEG as well.
> >
> > In my current work-flow I keep everything RAW and only convert a few of
> > the files to JPEG and process those by hand, but the ones I can't quite
> > ever get where I want, these scripts come in incredibly handy.
> >
> > I can post them if folks want... I'm not certain if that's against the
> > list policy.  The script is about 50 lines long.
> >
> > Now... if someone could figure out how to hook this script directly
into
> > Digikam I'd be ecstatic!

Another option if you use Linux would be to use dcraw:

# dcraw -e <filename>

To use that on a series of raw files in a directory, do something like

# for f in *.PEF ; do dcraw -e $f ; done

Regards,

Remco

P.S. note that you might not want to provide full metadata with the jpegs,
especially geolocation data. Copyright info isn't in there, and the rest
isn't particularly useful for non-photographers