[Digikam-users] articuRe: Preview is "better" than RAW conversion?

Jeff Robinson jeffnik at anecho.mb.ca
Sun Aug 31 13:08:55 BST 2014

On 31/08/2014 6:28 AM, Daniel Bauer wrote:
> Am 31.08.2014 12:54, schrieb Niels Ott:
>> Am 31.08.2014 um 12:36 schrieb Remco Viƫtor:
>
>> So what I've learned is that DigiKam can't replicate the behavior of my
>> camera that creates the JPEG preview in the PEFs. Or is there a way?
>
> I found that the original raw converters from camera manufacturers in
> general are easier in handling raws than anything I found on linux.
> (Except the crap of software that Sony delivers, which is really
> useless, and a disgrace for such lovely cameras...)
>
> For Win and Mac there is DxO Optics Pro which can apply all the camera
> suggestions of many manufacturers (e.g. make an image just like the
> cameras jpg, which sometimes is a good base to start). Unfortunately
> it's price is obscene, but maybe you can find a free version somewhere...
>
>> Otherwise I guess I'd go for shooting in PEF+JPEG, which the K-7 can do.
>

> I do that all the time. Jpgs don't use up much space and for many
> purposes they are just good enough.

Hi folks,

If it is of any interest, I bashed together a small script that will
copy the preview JPEG (which I believe is full size and already
processed) out of Pentax RAW (PEF) files.

The script works (using ufraw-batch) against either a whole directory or
will convert files based on names supplied, either single or multiple files.

Once the JPEG has been extracted the script then copies the XMP file
from the PEF to the JPEG and uses exiftool to write the EXIF information
from the PEF to the new JPEG as well.

In my current work-flow I keep everything RAW and only convert a few of
the files to JPEG and process those by hand, but the ones I can't quite
ever get where I want, these scripts come in incredibly handy.

I can post them if folks want... I'm not certain if that's against the
list policy.  The script is about 50 lines long.

Now... if someone could figure out how to hook this script directly into
Digikam I'd be ecstatic!

Jeff