[Digikam-users] What am I doing wrong?

Stuart T Rogers stuart at stella-maris.org.uk
Sat Aug 30 18:23:56 BST 2014

Well I just tried adding a watermark in darktable and that ended up
slightly larger at 7.0MB. Next was a manual watermark in digikam edit
and that saved as 6.5MB.

So in batch mode there is something very strange going on to reduce the
image so much. I believe there is a bug here....

Stuart

On 30/08/14 17:47, Stuart T Rogers wrote:
> As I suspected my camera is not that bad at compression. My image with
> added watermark from GIMP is 6.2MB against the camera 6.7MB so in my
> view something is going wrong in Digikam. In GIMP I exported the image
> as 100% jpeg. I'll try imagemagik later.
>
> Stuart
>
> On 30/08/14 15:37, Stuart T Rogers wrote:
>> Well what I will do is use both imagemagic and gimp to put a watermark
>> on the image and see what file size I get from them. I think you might
>> be right but there is certainly still a doubt in my mind about this, not
>> sure that a camera would be that poor at compression especially a quite
>> recent one.
>>
>> Stuart

>>> That helps already.
>>>
>>> As you manipulate the image by adding the watermark, the image will
>>> have to
>>> be recompressed on saving. And like was said in a similar thread, a PC
>>> has
>>> more power than a camera, so it might do a better job at compressing w/o
>>> degradation.
>>>
>>> Also, looking at the images you  provided, I don't see any
>>> degradation. So
>>> if you agree on that point, there seems to be no problem. Unless,

Website: http://www.stella-maris.org.uk
or:      http://www.broadstairs.org