[Digikam-users] Question on thumbnails and crash in digikam 3.5.0

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Tue Apr 29 12:07:47 BST 2014

> Hello all,
>          this is the first time I use this mailing list.
> I'm using digikam 3.5.0 on ubuntu trusty on two different laptops and have
> the following two issues:
>
> I cannot get a consistent view of video thumbnails across the two laptops;
> more specifically, the thumbnail for mp2t files (.mts from canon video
> camcorder) on one laptop look fine in terms of proportions (16:9) while in
> the other have wrong proportions (4:3).
> Generation of thumbnails as well as play of video files (independent of the
> format) cause digikam to crash
>
> I tried to report the crash and install the debugging application but that
> fails as well.
>
> Did anybody experience the same problems?
> Could anybody suggest me how to proceed?

How did you generate thumbnails ? Through maintenance tool ? If yes, i
fixed a crash problem into next 4.0.0, but ist's relevant for all
thumbnails type, not only video files.

If this only touch video format, thumbnail are generated by
KDE::Phonon interface which delegate video support to 3rd party
component, as GStreamer. So problem can be relevant of this part.

Best

Gilles Caulier