[Digikam-users] SOLVED: connectiontest in use, inotify limit

M. Fioretti mfioretti at nexaima.net
Thu Apr 24 06:57:44 BST 2014

On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 00:51:41 AM +0100, Teemu Rytilahti wrote:
> Teemu Rytilahti wrote:
>
> Ah, sorry. Just realized that this is the users list, so I'm going to put
> the things in user-understandable format.
>
> >> #> QSqlDatabasePrivate::removeDatabase: connection 'ConnectionTest' is
> >> #> still in use, all queries will cease to work.
> >
> > This one has something to do with the database backend and is happening to
> > everyone I think, it's a bug I'd assume and may cause some weird effects,
> > but I haven't noticed any (using sqlite here).
>
> I think this is just used to check if the connection to the database (or in
> case of sqlite, to the file) can be estabilished and that Digikam can make
> the modifications there. So it's probably not an issue.
>
> >> digikam(14981)/digikam (core): Reached inotify limit
> >
> > This one just means that the limit for inotify handles is most likely full
> > (or kernel failed to allocate resources for it). This could also be a bug,
> > I'm not sure whether inotify is able to watch directories recursively, but
> > at the moment the watches are being set per album directory. And that most
> > likely causes problems, if you have a lot of albums and/or sub-albums.
> >
> > sysctl fs.inotify.max_user_watches will give you how many handles is
> > possible to have, you can also change that value.

thanks Teemu for the explanation. I didn't answer earlier because,
until this week, I simply had no occasion to go back to that specific
computer and work on this issue. Now I confirm that increasing the
inotify limit and letting digikam rebuild its thumbnail database fro
scratch fixed the problems, AFAICT.

Thanks again,
Marco