[Digikam-users] local git master ignores many folders

Andrew Goodbody ajg02 at elfringham.co.uk
Sun Apr 20 23:23:28 BST 2014

On 20/04/14 17:22, Alan Pater wrote:
> I am trying to work with the digikam git repository, following the
> instructions here: http://www.digikam.org/download/GIT
>
> After running the download script I have all the files on my local machine.
> But git does not see any of the changes I make

As digiKam is a KDE app, it needs other parts of KDE in order to
compile. The way that this is arranged, without cloning the whole of
KDE, is that there is the software-compilation repository that contains
the scripts to clone and build digiKam as well as the other parts of KDE
needed to compile digiKam. So the git repository at the root of the
build tree is just those scripts etc. So all those directories in the
.gitignore file are cloned by the scripts and as such are not part of
the software-compilation repository. There is a script there 'gits' that
will allow you to work with all the smaller repositories that have been
cloned. Or else you can just change into the directory in question to
work with the particular repository where your changes are.

Andrew