[Digikam-users] local git master ignores many folders

Alan Pater alan.pater at gmail.com
Sun Apr 20 17:22:23 BST 2014

I am trying to work with the digikam git repository, following the
instructions here: http://www.digikam.org/download/GIT

After running the download script I have all the files on my local machine.
But git does not see any of the changes I make

I found this is because of the default .gitignore file, which contains:

    core/
    doc/digikam/
    doc/kipi-plugins/
    extra/kipi-plugins/
    extra/libkdcraw/
    extra/libkexiv2/
    extra/libkface/
    extra/libkgeomap/
    extra/libkipi/
    extra/libksane/
    extra/libmediawiki/

(And does not contain extra/libkvkontakte/, which shows as uncommited)

I would like to start clean, with nothing ignored.

I'm a complete novice to git. Could someone be kind enough to provide
some step-by-step instructions on un-ignoring everything?

If I just remove any or all of those lines from .gitignore I land up
with a bunch of uncommited folders, which is not what is needed.

Cheers,
Alan