[Digikam-users] Questions on RAW conversion: Base curve

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Wed Sep 11 11:16:49 BST 2013

2013/9/11 Marie-Noƫlle Augendre <mnaugendre at gmail.com>

> 2013/9/11 Gilles Caulier <caulier.gilles at gmail.com>
>

>> In BQM, since 3.3.0 (if i remember), i implemented a way to extract
>> embeded JPEG with RAW workflow. Check BQM queue settings for details.
>> In this case, there is no demosaicing and processing is very fast.
>>
>> Gilles Caulier
>>

> I don't know how it does it, but each time I've needed a "quick" JPEG
> without actually "working" from the RAW, the BQM has given me a pretty good
> result that I didn't need to modify afterwards.
> For me, one more reason to never use RAW+JPEG as Digikam can do the job
> well and in an instant. :-)

Marie Noelle,

If you don't use RAW Jpeg extraction option in BQM, and if you use "Auto
Brightness" option from WB section, libraw will emulate the famous
automatic curve from dcraw which give a very good results in 90% of cases.

dcraw only support this automatic mode in 8 bits per color per pixels. I
work with libraw team to extend this mode in 16 bits/color/pixels, to have
an homogeneous behavior.

Note : if "Auto Brightness" is disable, a linear curve is used instead.
This is why raw demosaicing is generally a black hole result on screen, and
need post processing curve adjustments, which can be done with Curve tool.