[Digikam-users] Questions on RAW conversion: Base curve

Gilles Caulier caulier.gilles at gmail.com
Wed Sep 11 09:49:01 BST 2013

Hi,

2013/9/11 Wolfgang Mader <Wolfgang_Mader at brain-frog.de>:
> Hallo list,
>
> I know there is no "correct" way to convert a RAW to e.g. a jpeg, but there is
> a unique way which is taken by every camera (perhaps given a specific scene
> selection). In my case this would be the Canon EOS 40D. The camera internally
> uses a base curve to construct colors which is in most cases far from linear
> but specific to the camera model.
>
> My first question is how digikam can know the shape of the base curve. If
> digikam does not know the shape, which base curves is applied instead?

There is no base curve analyzed and applied by digiKam. If i'm not too
wrong, base curve can be get from libraw to clien application, but
digiKAm do not get it yet...

The curve settings from RawImport tool is applied after demosaic. It's
not a setting from RAW decoder

> If I use the RAW import dialog when opening a RAW in the image editor (F4) I
> can pick "Default" to convert the RAW file. Is there a way to use the same
> "Default" if I convert RAW files in a queue?

To apply a curve on your BQM Raw workflow, just add a curve tool on
top of tools list, and save it on a dedicated workflow BQM settings.