[Digikam-users] Greetings

jdd jdd at dodin.org
Mon Sep 2 11:14:18 BST 2013

Le 02/09/2013 10:38, cgw993 at aol.com a écrit :
> Greetings,
>
> I just installed Digikam. My review of the software so far –

I read all the subsequent posts before answering to this one

> 1. Digikam opened at least 3 separate connections the internet. Why?!

Before shouting you could have asked simply that. This is a perfectly
normal question.

But then you have to give some details.

* how did you notice that? (to allow others to replicate the fact)
* is that true at first install, before any option is changed by you?

is the later is right, there is a problem. IMHO, such option as going
goggle map to geolocalize should *not* be active by default,
eventually added by an install dialog.

this is my own personal advice, and can be discussed here, and if most
people agree, I'm sure it wil be included in future releases.

> 2. Digikam does not make it easy to navigate drives/folders on the
> computer to find photos.  This is the entire  point of photo
> management software to begin with!

wrong. The point of management software is *not* to scan your disk to
find photos - this is extremely against privacy! If you like it, use
picasa!

If you didn't yet organize your photos, it's time to do so.

> Profiting by spying on and data mining users data is fine I guess

no, it's not. But, anyway, this means having a way to store the info.
Did you trace the internet calls to see where the data is stored? May
be your digikam file is compromised. On Windows I often have seen
perfectly clean programms packed by other download centrers and filled
with addwares or malwares (I just had this problem last week), but
this is not digikam fault.

sincerely
jdd
--